From a back and forth heavyweight title fight that ended up with a knockout delivered by the champion Stipe Miocic to a kick thrown by former heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum on his opponent’s coach after the fight was over. UFC 203 definitely provided entertainment for the fans, but it also came at a price for 12 of the 20 fighters that stepped into the Octagon.
Former WWE superstar CM Punk made his professional mixed martial arts debut and took a beating but earned the respect of many fellow UFC fighters in doing so. Punk was given a 45-day suspension with no contact for 30 days.
Stipe Miocic, who was rocked early on in the championship fight against Alistair Overeem was given a suspension of 45 days with 15 days of no contact. Overeem suffered a knockout at the hands of Miocic and was suspended indefinitely pending a neurological clearance.
Heavyweight Travis Browne was also suspended indefinitely pending orthopedic clearance for his finger that was injured in the bout, which was another odd moment from UFC 203 where he called a personal timeout, in which he was given by the referee, Gary Copeland. Veteran referee Big John McCarthy tweeted after the fight that Copeland should not have given Browne a personal timeout, but is just one of the many things that happened during the event to make it that much more memorable.
The full list of UFC 203 medical suspensions via MMA Junkie include:
- Stipe Miocic: Suspended 45 days with 15 days no contact.
- Alistair Overeem: Suspended indefinitely pending neurological clearance; needs CT scan within five days and MRI after five days. Also suspended 60 days.
- Travis Browne: Suspended indefinitely pending orthopedic clearance for right index finger.
- Phil “CM Punk” Brooks: Suspended 45 days with 30 days no contact.
- Jimmie Rivera: Suspended indefinitely pending clearance from ophthalmologist.
- Jessica Andrade: 30 days no contact.
- Bethe Correia: 30 days no contact.
- Jessica Eye: Suspended 45 days with 30 days no contact.
- Brad Tavares: Suspended indefinitely pending medical clearance for lower back.
- Michael McBride: Suspended 45 days with 30 days no contact.
- Sean Spencer: Suspended indefinitely pending medical clearance for left hand.
- Jason Gonzalez: Suspended 45 days with 30 days no contact.