DIY Bumble Bee Balloons (Tutorial & Video)
Buzz, buzz, buzzzzzzzzzzzz! These DIY Bumble Bee Balloons are such a fun project for any bee-themed birthday party or baby shower… or just as a fun surprise to brighten someone’s day!
Helpful tip: I love using helium with this project to make the bees look like they’re actually “flying”, but this does mean you’ll need to make them the day of your party/surprise so that the helium stays strong… SO, if you’re pressed for time or need to make a lot of them for the occasion, here’s a trick you can use: Fill the balloons with regular air first so that you can paint the stripes and let them dry ahead of time. Then, when it’s time to actually use them, undo the balloon knot carefully to let the regular air out, and re-inflate them with helium!
BUMBLE BEE BALLOONS – DIY TUTORIAL
⁃ 12” yellow balloon
⁃ Balloon Time Helium Tank
⁃ Black craft paint
⁃ Foam paint brush
⁃ Double-stick tape
⁃ Glue Stick
⁃ Bumble Bee Printables
⁃ Fishing wire (or string)
- Fill a yellow balloon with helium. Flip the balloon upside down and lightly tape it to the bowl using 1 piece of tape on either side. This will keep the balloon from floating away while you work!
- Paint two black stripes on the balloon by holding your paint brush hand steady and turning the balloon in place with your other hand. The bowl should make it easy to spin the balloon, (similar to a lazy susan works). Spin the balloon a few times to create stripes that are approximately 2” thick. Let dry for 20 mins.
- While the paint dries, cut out the bumble bee eyes, mouth and wings.
- Gently remove the tape from the balloon, flip it right side up, and re-tape to the bowl.
- Use a glue stick to attach the bumble bee eyes and mouth to the top of the balloon.
- Bend the tips of the wings to create small flaps, and attach them to the balloon with small pieces of double-stick tape.
- Tape fishing wire to the “belly” of the bumble bee to make it look like the bees are flying!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Balloon Time. As always, all thoughts and designs are my own. Thank you so much for supporting the companies that make it possible for me to keep the creative content coming your way!