Sweet Plantains with Black Bean Salsa and Lime Crema
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- ¼ c. yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 T. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sea salt
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/2 c. sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 – 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large ripe plantain
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- In a medium bowl, combine black beans, tomatoes, garlic, onion, and cilantro. Season with sea salt, pepper, and lime juice, to taste (reserve some lime juice for the crema).
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime zest, remaining lime juice to taste, and sour cream or yogurt.
- Heat heavy skillet on med-high. Halve plantains crosswise, then cut lengthwise into ¼”-thick slices.
- When skillet is hot, add olive oil and plantains (salting to taste) in a single layer, working in batches if necessary. Pan-fry until caramelized, 3 – 5 minutes per side.
To serve: Place plantains on plate, spoon bean salsa on top, and finish with avocado and a dollop of lime crema.